This is one page of a 5 day walking/driving tour around Anglesey.
Day 2: Llys Llewellyn, – Exploring The Seat of the Princes of Gwynedd
A map showing walking and/or driving routes would be provided based upon your preferences.
Aberffraw is the historic seat of the Prince Llewellyn ap Gruffud. There are a number of important sites in this area which offer great walking opportunities between the different sites, or, alternatively, a number of shorter walks, taking in different sites.
East to West, these include:
Barclodiad y Gawres: (Welsh for ‘apronful of the giantess’) is a Neolithic burial chamber. It is an example of a cruciform passage grave, a notable feature being its decorated stones. Similar graves and marks exist across the Irish Sea in the Boyne Valley
Cable Bay: A delightful small bay, popular with surfers. The Porth Trecastell Cable Bay gets its name from 1902 when a telegraph cable linked it to Ireland and from there to America. This connection has long since been abandoned.
St Cwyfan’s Church: Located on the small islet called Cribinau, once part of the mainland, there has probably been a church here since the 7th Century.
Aberffraw: In the early Middle Ages, Aberffraw was the capital of the Kingdom of Gwynedd from c.860 AD until c.1170. It came to be the most important political centre in medieval Wales. The Llys remained the symbolic throne of the Kings of Gwynedd, from the 9th century to the 13th century. The Royal Annals of Edward I of England show the Llys was dismantled in 1315 to provide building materials for nearby Beaumaris Castle.
Maltreath Bay: Described as having “breathtaking landscape and unspoilt sands”, and ” superb views of Snowdonia and the Lleyn Peninsular”, this is one of several beautiful beaches along this part of the coast.
Llys Rhosyr: Discovered in 1992 by Archaeologist Neil Johnstone, Llys Rhosyr is one of the Llysoedd or Royal courts of Llywelyn Fawr, Prince of Gwynedd in the 13th century.
Newborough Forest: The forest was planted between 1947 and 1965, originally intended to protect the village of Newborough from wind-blown sand and to provide timber and jobs. The nowadays tranquil Newborough Forest, attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors every year.
Ynys Llandwyn: The name Llanddwyn means “The church of St. Dwynwen”. Dwynwen is the Welsh patron saint of lovers, making her the Welsh equivalent of St. Valentine. Dwynwen lived during the 5th century AD and was one of 24 daughters of St. Brychan, a Welsh prince of Brycheiniog (Brecon). She fell in love with a young man named Maelon, but rejected his advances. Dwynwen became known as the patron saint of lovers and pilgrimages were made to her holy well on the island.
The tea rooms at Llys Llewellyn offer excellent local food and drink, and delicious local ice-creams. It is a social enterprise so your purchases here have a direct economic benefit on the local community!